Antarctic Connections at the End of the World
3-5 April 2019 in Ushuaia, Argentina
Antarctica may be thought of as a pristine natural environment, untouched by human disturbance, but human interactions with Antarctica have a long history and are receiving growing attention in the scholar community. The humanities and social sciences provide important insights into the continent and challenge existing understandings of Antarctica’s past, present and future relationship with the rest of the world.
The main objectives of this conference are to provide a space for exchanging information about research in the Antarctic humanities and social sciences, stimulate and organise research ideas, and develop future collaborations. We invite papers from all disciplinary fields in the social sciences, humanities and arts (including performing and creative arts) that engage with the Antarctic and southern oceans. Both proposals for individual papers and interdisciplinary panels are welcome. Proposals will be only accepted in English.
Topics of interests may include, but are not limited to:
- Antarctic gateway cities
- Antarctic future
- Antarctic historiography
- Antarctic literature
- Antarctic tourism
- Antarctic values
- Antarctica and the global commons
- Anthropocene in Antarctica
- Digging into the past: archives, artifacts, archaeology
- Environmental management
- Geopolitics of the polar regions
- History of polar science
- Human dimensions of environmental change
- Interdisciplinary polar research
- Interface between polar policy, law and science
- Media representations
- Polar heritage and museums
- Polar mobilities
- Public engagement with Antarctic research
- The Antarctic Treaty System and its challenges
Dr. Cristian Lorenzo (Centro Austral de Investigaciones Científicas (CADIC) – Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET) & Instituto de Ciencias Polares, Ambiente y Recursos Naturales (ICPA) – Universidad Nacional de Tierra del Fuego (UNTDF). Email: email@example.com.
- Instituto Antártico Argentino
- Centro Austral de Investigaciones Científicas (CADIC) – Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET)
- Universidad Nacional de Tierra del Fuego
- Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnología de la Provincia de Tierra del Fuego
- Instituto Fueguino de Turismo
- Municipalidad de Ushuaia
- Fundación para la Conservación del Patrimonio Antártico
- Data Management workshop: Universidad Nacional de Tierra del Fuego will be facilitating the organisation of a workshop on data management on 1 April 2019, from 08:30 – 12:30, at Universidad Nacional de Tierra del Fuego. For further details please contact Ria Olivier.
- Polar Museums workshop: The Polar Museums Network will be facilitating a workshop about polar museums, together with the local partner Museo Marítimo y del Presidio. This workshop is scheduled for 1 April 2019 from 2.30 pm at Museo Marítimo y del Presidio. For more information, please contact the Polar Museums Network.